Monday 7 November 2011

Carpe-Diem and Other Things

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

Seize the day- giving minimum credit to the posterior.

Of course that’s not what it really means. Latin is Greek to us.

____________________________________________

Bad poetry begets bad poetry. Yes, I know. When we were chill’en we had this program where you could preset a few things and it would write poetry for you. Very typical stuff.

I am so glad to have you as a friend,

We shall be together even to the end.

You are my friend and I am blessed,

For no one can play as well a game of Chess.


You get the drift. Bullshit. And I hope mine’s not as bad (but I read ‘one night love’ again, and oh-god-i-wanna-delete!). So here is some nice stuff which reminds me of some lovely people…one of them lovely people is Pablo.



Love

Because of you, in gardens of blossoming flowers I ache from the perfumes of spring.

I have forgotten your face, I no longer remember your hands;

how did your lips feel on mine?

Because of you, I love the white statues drowsing in the parks, the white statues that have neither voice nor sight.

I have forgotten your voice, your happy voice;

I have forgotten your eyes.

Like a flower to its perfume, I am bound to my vague memory of you. I live with pain that is like a wound;

if you touch me, you will do me irreparable harm.

Your caresses enfold me, like climbing vines on melancholy walls.

I have forgotten your love, yet I seem to glimpse you in every window.

Because of you, the heady perfumes of summer pain me; because of you, I again seek out the signs that precipitate desires: shooting stars, falling objects.


-Neruda

No comments:

Post a Comment